Welcome to this morning’s Decision Desk HQ Morning News Spotlight on Elections Daily as part of the Decision Desk HQ News Network.
- Republican Florida Governor Ron DeSantis released his version of the state’s redrawn congressional districts and quickly won support of a key member of the state’s Senate redistricting efforts.
Here is the partisan breakdown for the latest plan from Ron DeSantis #flapol #sayfie pic.twitter.com/jqRTuIijHu— Florida Data Geek 🇺🇦 (@MappingFL) April 13, 2022
- A combination of local circumstances and increasing GOP strength with Hispanic voters means Democrats are facing an uphill challenge in three south Texas congressional districts.
- Georgia Democratic Senator Raphael Warnock reports raising $13.6 million in the first quarter of the year and $25.6 million cash on hand. He’s expected to face Republican Hershel Walker in November.
- The Democratic National Committee has officially created a new process to set the party’s 2024 presidential nomination calendar. Iowa and New Hampshire are no longer guaranteed their early slot but will have to apply for early slots along with other states.
- The Iowa Supreme Court heard arguments on whether or not former Congresswoman Abby Finkenauer should be allowed on the Democratic Primary ballot for Senate despite an election board ruling she failed to present the required number of valid signatures. The dispute is over the validity of three signatures. A decision is expected today or tomorrow to allow for the printing of military ballots in time to meet federal deadlines.
- California Democratic Senator Diane Feinstein’s mental capacity capacity is being called into question by several Senators, members of the House, and former staffers. Feinstein is 88 years old.
- Three of four Utah Republican members of Congress and Senator Mike Lee are facing primary challenges this year.
- The Pennsylvania Senate passed a bill prohibiting the use of drop boxes for ballots and private funding support for election administration. The bill now goes to the House for action.
|Tues April 19||CA State Assembly 17 Special General|
|Tues May 3||Indiana Primary|
|MI State House 15 Special General|
|MI State House 36 Special General|
|MI State House 43 Special General|
|MI State House 74 Special General|
|GA State House 45 Special General Runoff|