Welcome to this morning’s Decision Desk HQ Morning News Spotlight on Elections Daily as part of the Decision Desk HQ News Network.
- The New York redistricting special master and state Supreme Court Justice Patrick McCallister listened to recommendations from representatives of various groups about how the new congressional and state senate maps should be drawn. In the hearing, the state Legislature resubmitted the same state senate map that was struck down arguing it was not rejected for being a partisan gerrymander, but for the process by which it was created. The Legislature also submitted a revised congressional map. The hearing was the only such hearing currently scheduled.
- New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu signed new maps for the state’s senate and executive council into law. The new districts favor the Republicans and could lead to a Republican supermajority in the state’s senate. The Governor and the General Court are still in disagreement over how to redraw the state’s congressional map. The current Republican-backed plan, which Governor Sununu said he would veto, would create one Democratic district, and one district with a slight Republican advantage, and would push the two current U.S. House incumbents from the state into the same district.
- Members of the Ohio Redistricting Commission are defending themselves against allegations of contempt of the Ohio Supreme Court. They say they complied with the court’s order to pass new maps by last week’s May 6 deadline despite the fact that the maps they voted to pass have already been deemed unconstitutional by the court. Groups challenging the commission’s maps had asked the court to revisit the contempt charges. The commission had no real incentive to pass workable maps on their fifth attempt after a panel of federal judges said they would instate the 3rd set of maps the Ohio Supreme Court struck down if the state was unable to adopt maps by May 28.
- First Lady Jill Biden made an unannounced visit to Ukraine yesterday. She met with Ukraine’s First Lady as well as mothers and children in refugee camps in the rare appearance in a war zone by an American First Lady. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was also in the country to reopen the Canadian Embassy in Kyiv. Both visits came the day before Russia’s Victory Day, which some experts think Putin will use as an opportunity to escalate his war in Ukraine.
- Polls are now closed in the Philippine elections. Philippine Vice President Leni Robredo is facing Ferdinand Marcos Jr. a former senator and congressman who is also the son of the country’s former dictator whose two-decade rule was ended by the People Power Revolution in 1986. Turnout was reportedly high across the country, and polls have shown Marcos having a strong lead throughout the campaign, but no official call has been made yet.
- Over at Elections Daily, Sarah Stook continues her fantastic series on the American First Ladies.
- The midterm primary season continues tomorrow with Nebraska and West Virginia holding their contests. Be sure to check out our preview looking at redistricting, important races to follow, and key counties to watch on primary night.
Be sure to subscribe to the channel and sign up for notifications so you’re the first to know when a new preview drops.
|Tues May 10||Nebraska Primary|
|West Virginia Primary|
|Newark, NJ Mayoral Election|
|Tues May 17||Kentucky Primary|
|North Carolina Primary|
|PA State Senate 5 Special General|
|SC State House 97 Special General|
|OR State Senate 18 Special Dem Primary|
|OR State Senate 18 Special GOP Primary|
|Charlotte, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)|
|Greensboro, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)|
|Tues May 24||Alabama Primary|
|AL Statewide Amendment 1|
|Texas Primary Runoff|
|MN US House 1 Special Dem Primary|
|MN US House 1 Special GOP Primary|
|SC State House 18 Special General|
|NY State Assembly 58 Special General|
|Tues June 7||California Primary|
|CA US Senate Special Primary|
|CA US House 22 Special General|
|CA State Assembly 62 Special General|
|CA State Assembly 80 Special General|
|MT State Senate 15 Special Dem Primary|
|MT State Senate 15 Special GOP Primary|
|New Jersey Primary|
|New Mexico Primary|
|South Dakota Primary|
|SD Constitutional Amendment C|
FYI WeThePeople are on to you! By the way from day 1 fjb has been the most hated prez ever!