Welcome to this morning’s Decision Desk HQ Morning News Spotlight on Elections Daily as part of the Decision Desk HQ News Network.
- Carrick Flynn is a newcomer to politics but his candidacy for the Democratic nomination in Oregon’s new Sixth Congressional District is raising eyebrows among the state’s party establishment. Not only is he leading the fundraising race by a large margin but he has the backing of the Democrat’s top national House Super PAC. The Oregon primary is May 17th.
- A new poll in NY shows Governor Kathy Hochul shows 45% of respondents are prepared to vote for someone else, while 40% say they support her election. Hochul’s job approval rating fell 8 points in the last month to 36%. Her handling of crime and economic issues are the leading cause of the decline in her approval rating.
- At the national level, Gallup finds President Joe Biden’s approval rating in the first quarter of the year to be 41.3% Historically that’s the second worst rating for a President in the fifth quarter of their presidency. Biden is only ahead of former President Donald Trump’s 39.1% rating for the same period.
- One Democrat doing well is West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin. 57% of voters in his state approve of the job he’s doing up from 40% a year ago. Manchin isn’t up for reelection until 2024.
- Republican candidates for Governor in Georgia debated last night. Former Senator David Perdue accused Governor Brian Kemp of being soft on what he claims was election fraud in 2020. Kemp for his part repeatedly laid the blame for Perdue’s defeat to now Senator Jon Ossoff on Perdue’s week leadership and poor record. There are two more debates schedule ahead of the May 24th primary. According to the Real Clear Politics poll average, Kemp is leading the field but short of the 50% threshold he’d need to avoid a runoff.
- Idaho is another state where a GOP Governor is facing a rare primary challenge. Lt. Governor Janice McGeachin is challenging Governor Brad Little. It’s the first time in state history a sitting Lt. Governor is challenging the sitting Governor. McGeachin, like Perdue in Georgia, is backed by former President Trump.
- A Super PAC aligned with North Carolina Republican Senator Thom Tillis is spending significant money on an ad blasting Republican Congressman Madison Cawthorn as a liar.
- France held the second round of their presidential election yesterday. Incumbent Emmanuel Macron defeated Marine Le Pen 58%-42%. Macron is the first President of France to win reelection since Jacques Chirac in 2002.
|Tues May 3||Indiana Primary|
|GA State House 45 Special General runoff|
|MI State House 15 Special General|
|MI State House 36 Special General|
|MI State House 43 Special General|
|MI State House 74 Special General|
|Sat May 7||
TX Prop 1 – Property Tax Limit Reduction for Elderly and Disabled Residents Amendment
TX Prop 2 – Increased Homestead Exemption for School District Property Taxes Amendment
|TX State House 147 Special General|
|Arlington, TX City Council General|
|Garland, TX City Council General|
|Irving, TX City Council General|
|Lubbock, TX Municipal Election|
|Fort Worth, TX City Council 4 Special General|
|Tues May 10||Nebraska Primary|
|West Virginia Primary|
|Newark, NJ Mayoral Election|
|Tues May 17||Kentucky Primary|
|North Carolina Primary|
|PA State Senate 5 Special General|
|SC State House 97 Special General|
|OR State Senate 18 Special Dem Primary|
|OR State Senate 18 Special GOP Primary|
Charlotte, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)
Greensboro, NC Mayoral Primary (rescheduled from 2021)
|Louisville, KY Mayoral Primary|
|Lexington, KY Mayoral Primary|